Whole Grain Lunch/Dinner Recipe: Rice and Beans Red and Green
Ingredients and Approximate Cost
- 1 rice-cooker cup uncooked long grain brown rice - approximately 3/4 cup standard measure ($0.36)
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed - ½ of 15 oz can ($0.45)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas - 1/6 of a 16 oz bag ($0.30)
- 1 to 1¼ cup salsa, fresh if possible ($2.50)
- 1 green onion ($0.10)
- ½ teaspoon each of cumin, chili powder, oregano ($0.75)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro - ½ a bunch ($0.50)
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese ($0.50)
Cook rice in water (or broth) in a rice cooker. When the rice is finished and still hot, stir the peas into the rice and let sit for 1 or 2 minutes. Pour rice and peas into a large bowl and mix in the beans, salsa, green onion, cumin, chili powder, oregano and cilantro. To serve, sprinkle with shredded cheese and warm up in the microwave until cheese melts, 1 to 4 minutes depending on microwave.
Total cost: $5.46
Number of servings: 6
Cost per serving: $0.91
Costs based on Peapod.com online pricing. Condiments and spices are calculated as a 25-cent estimate each time they are used.