By Brittany Wright, Media and Outreach Specialist
Admittedly, I am not a big veggie person. This means that often I am not a big salad person either. My closest friends would tell you that I’d take a soup over the salad any day!
Then I came across this recipe on Our Best Bites, one of my favorite recipe blogs, for a Watermelon Feta Salad. The watermelon juices provide a delicious dressing. The lime adds that surprise zing. The cilantro and mint brings out the freshness. This salad is light and perfect for the warm weather.
Photo Credit: Our Best Bites
This is a great low calorie dish. Another great thing about this recipe is that it smells so good! The colorful ingredients will make your mouth water before you take one single bite. I’ve served this recipe at two dinner parties and it is a huge hit!
- 6 c. cubed (1/2″ cubes) watermelon (small individual watermelon should yield more than enough)
- 1 c. minced cilantro
- 1/2 c. thinly sliced red onions (about 1/2 of a small red onion, maybe a bit more)
- 1/4 c. thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 3 Tbsp. thinly sliced fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish
- Juice of 2 limes (3-4 Tbsp.)
- 1 4-oz. package of crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1/2 heaping tsp. Kosher salt
I sprinkled the watermelon cubes with onions, cilantro, and feta and wrapped it with mint. You could also secure the garnishes with toothpicks for a party-friendly appetizer.
Cut your ingredients. Pre-cut your watermelon into 1/2” cubes, thinly slice your red onion (about half of a small red onion), basil, and mint leaves.
Mix together cut ingredients. Add feta, lime juice, and salt (to taste). One swish of the bowl and you've got yourself a salad!
That’s it! Once you get past the chopping, you are on your way to a fresh, sweet forkful of salad heaven!
What are some of your favorite summer salad recipes?