by Lana Buseman
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it is often the hardest meal to actually eat. Lots can get in the way: busy morning schedules, getting to school and work, and not having healthy options that are easy to take on the go. I love this recipe because it takes care of all of those issues and is so delicious.
Oats are a great option for breakfast because they are high in fiber, an important element for staying full throughout the day, are good for your heart and are shown to lower cholesterol. However, a bowl of oatmeal isn’t always the easiest thing to grab in the morning.
This Oatmeal On the Go recipe creates oatmeal in hand-held form. It can be made ahead of time and stored or frozen for later.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
- 5 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 3/4 cups skim milk
- Sweetener of your choice, such as 2 tablespoons of honey or agave nectar or 6 packets of stevia
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Raisins for topping*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and sweetener together in a bowl.
- Add in oats, salt, baking powder and cinnamon and mix.
- Pour in milk and combine.
- Spray a 12 and 6 capacity muffin tin with cooking spray or use cupcake liners.
- Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin cups.
- Add raisins to the top.
- Bake 30 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool and enjoy or freeze them in gallon freezer bags and defrost for a healthy breakfast on the go!
*Fresh fruit can be used in this recipe as well and can be added directly to the batter before putting in the muffin tin cups.