Nothing says summer like a fresh, vine-ripe tomato. The best tasting tomatoes can be found at your local farmers market, a neighborhood garden or maybe even your backyard!
This recipe for gazpacho is ideal for a hot summer day, using the freshest ingredients possible.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
- 6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 sweet red bell pepper (or green) seeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
- 6 or more drops of Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (omit for vegetarian option)
- 4 cups tomato juice
Combine all ingredients. Blend slightly, to desired consistency. Place in a non-metal, non-reactive storage container, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, allowing flavors to blend.