By Lana Buseman
This chili recipe is a quick and delicious option for a cozy fall weekend or Meatless Monday. The beans are a great alternative to meat and the cashews provide a hearty texture. Packed with veggies and spices, this is a chili that is very satisfying and easy to throw together in no time at all! Kidney beans are high in protein, fiber and iron and help stabilize blood sugar after your meal. (If anyone you are eating with has a nut allergy, the cashews can be left out and you will still have a very tasty meal.)
This chili is great served over quinoa. I topped mine with low-fat shredded mozzarella and fresh diced avocado. Other great toppings could be Greek yogurt or fresh cilantro. Let everyone get creative with your toppings and enjoy!
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ packet taco seasoning, or to taste
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 1 can kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Quinoa, prepared
- Sliced avocado, optional
- Shredded cheese, optional
- Heat oil, onions and garlic in a large stockpot on medium-high heat for about 2 minutes. Add peppers, celery and carrots and cook about 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add taco seasoning and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add water, tomatoes and kidney beans and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cashews and red wine vinegar and simmer with the lid partially open for 15 minutes.
- Serve over quinoa and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!